Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Being Busy..

My continuing adventures with Cyberwizard Publishing have given quite a bit to do during this year. I thought I'd go through my contributions in rapid succession.

First of all, the delightful "Jack of all Trades" by K. C. Shaw. It's a sort of pastorale everyday period drama, with dragons, elves and magic thrown in for good measure. I had a great time reading the manuscript.

 "A Fistful of Hollers" is a collection of humorous western tales, often with a tinge of sci-fi or fantasy. I'm not a western fan per se, but I enjoyed illustrating this one.

 "The Simian Transcript" collects several of David C. Kopaska-Merkel's highly original short stories. Again, another great read.

I spent my summer vacation producing illustrations for two books simultaneously. First out was "Between a Roc and a Hard Place" by Danny Birt. This book has won at least one award since its publication.


The other book was  "Knight Terrors: The (Mis)adventures of Smoke the Dragon" by Nicholas Ozment,a humorous fantasy containing all the staple trapping of fantasy literature, while managing to both make fun of them and use them as clever plot points. I had a great time illustrating this one.

Still... I don't think I'll do another job for Cyberwizard. Things are not working out the way I hoped for me and my own book projects, so either I'll find some other publisher or just get the stuff out through Lulu, which isn't the worst thing that could happen, although many small-press publishers would have you think that's the case. There is great animosity towards Lulu, and I can't understand why. At least not so far. I've had only good experiences with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment